British Foreign Secretary William Hague hailed the outcome of latest round of nuclear talks between Iran and the six world powers.
“I welcome the more positive approach taken by the Iranian Government in nuclear talks between Iran and the E3+3 in Geneva," the British foreign secretary said.
"(Iran's) Foreign Minister Zarif presented a basis for negotiations and there have been serious exchanges with Iran on issues of concern,” he said.
“Diplomats have for the first time begun more substantive discussions with Iran on how to address the international community’s serious concerns about Iran’s nuclear program.”
Yet, Hague said “there is a great deal of hard work ahead, but we must not waste this opportunity”.
During four rounds of talks in Geneva on Tuesday and Wednesday, Iran presented a three-staged plan to resolve its nuclear standoff with the West.
After the end of the two-day long negotiations, both the Iranian and the world powers' teams of negotiators described the talks as "fruitful" and "constructive".
The diplomatic sources present in the negotiations said the delegations of the six world powers have shown a positive and constructive reaction to the details of Tehran's new proposals.
"The atmosphere dominating the meeting was positive and constructive and the negotiations will continue tomorrow morning," a diplomatic source close to the Iranian delegation told FNA after the end of the second session of the Tuesday talks between Tehran and the Group 5+1 (the US, Russia, France, Britain and China plus Germany).
"Both sides (Iran and the six world powers) showed a serious attitude during the meeting and negotiations and several questions and answers were asked and answered face-to-face," the source added.
The diplomat said the two sides discussed "the details of Iran's three-staged proposal" and "the Iranian side elaborated on its plan".
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif also hailed "two days of fruitful, intensive talks" between the negotiating teams of Iran and the six world powers, and said the positive trend of the negotiations which started on Tuesday will be deepened in coming weeks.
Speaking to reporters in Geneva after wrapping up two days of negotiations that yielded a deal to meet again on November 7 and 8, Zarif said that the talks with the G5+1 had been "extensive and fruitful" and that the opposite side had "exhibited the necessary political will to move the process forward".
Zarif hoped that the Geneva talks between Iran and the six world powers could herald a shift in Tehran's ties.
Zarif said this “will hopefully be the beginning of a new phase in our relations towards closing an unnecessary crisis and opening new horizons,” in reference to the title of Iran's proposed package, which was tabled during the negotiations.
He also stressed Iran’s right to peaceful nuclear activities and said, “The right of Iran to pursue nuclear technology for peaceful purposes, including enrichment, can, in fact, be exercised with the necessary political will without any proliferation concerns."
"We feel there is no need for concerns about our nuclear program... It is logical to remove any concerns though," he added.
"I am hopeful that we can reach the mutual objectives," he said, while underlining that "the detailed part is the most difficult part".
"We need to take reciprocal steps, but this is a very important test in our eyes for the 5+1 to win back the trust of Iran. I believe an important step was taken in this round."
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has expressed hope that the latest round of nuclear talks between Tehran and the six major world powers will herald a “new phase” in relations between the two sides.
The Iranian foreign minister refrained from providing the details of Iran's new proposals to the world powers, and said the two sides have decided to keep it confidential until reaching a consensus.
Zarif also confirmed the earlier remarks of his counterpart, EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton, about a follow up session on November 7 and 8 where, he said, nuclear and sanctions experts will be present to discuss details of the confidence-building measures which need to be taken by both Iran and the six world powers.
"We discussed the details as well," he said, elaborating on the contents of the Tuesday and Wednesday talks, and added, "Of course, when needed, we will give more depth to the talks and continue the discussions at the level of experts to continue this process, and this will happen on November 7 and 8 as Miz Ashton declared."
Prior to Zarif, Ashton, who presides over the delegations of the world powers in talks with Iran over its nuclear program, told the press conference that the Group 5+1 has had the most detailed discussions with Iranian negotiators, adding that "our positions have been set out on a number of issues already".
Bringing the negotiations to a close with the first joint statement between the two sides, Ashton told the media the discussions had been more detailed than all earlier meetings, calling them "the most detailed (discussions) we have ever had, by, I would say, a long way. Our positions have been set out on a number of issues already".
She said the world powers are "carefully" examining Iran's proposal which aims to resolve the dispute over its nuclear program, ahead of a new round of talks on November 7-8.
Ashton said the two sides had agreed that nuclear and sanctions experts would meet before the next high-level meeting.
Ashton told reporters that after two-day talks between the Group 5+1 (the five permanent members of the United Nations Security Council plus Germany) and Iran, they for the first time agreed on a joint statement.
Ashton also said in a joint statement with her Iranian counterpart Mohammad Javad Zarif that the talks held between world powers and Iran over the latter's nuclear program in Geneva over the last two days have been the most "substantive" and "detailed" to date.
Ashton said that the six world powers were carefully considering Iran's proposal to the West and had agreed not to divulge details of the offer. She also said that sanction and nuclear experts of Iran and the powers will meet before the next round of talks, scheduled for November 7 and 8.
The talks in Geneva marked the first time Iran and the world powers had met since President Hassan Rohani's election.
Questions remained Wednesday over the proposal presented by Iran's foreign minister the day before. At this stage, it appears as though the Iranian proposal includes the willingness to limit uranium enrichment, but also a demand that the world powers recognize Iran's right to enrich uranium on its soil.